Updated: Feb 15
At Port of Mission Outreach Ministries, we are passionate about helping homeless people overcome the barriers that led to their homelessness and achieve long-term stability and self-sufficiency. We provide a variety of supportive services for the homeless, including lodging vouchers, bus cards, grocery gift cards, personal care items, and clothing. These resources may seem small, but they can make a world of difference for someone who is struggling to survive on the streets. They provide the basic necessities that many of us take for granted, but for those experiencing homelessness, they are a lifeline.
1. But we also understand that homelessness is not just a lack of housing, it is a complex issue with many underlying causes. That is why we also provide case management services, connecting individuals to the resources they need to overcome the barriers that contribute to their homelessness. Our case managers work with each person to develop a personalized plan and provide ongoing support to ensure their success.
2. Job training programs are an essential part of our services to support the homeless. Many individuals experiencing homelessness face barriers to employment, such as a lack of job skills or a criminal record. At Port Of Missions, we work closely with our janitorial company Trotter Industries which does an amazing job placing individuals who need a job. We are able to provide job training so they are able to work immediately at many of our buildings across the city of Milwaukee. We have many success stories of people who have been helped by our organization click on the link to check out Viola's story.
3. Mental health and addiction issues are often underlying causes of homelessness. We don't formally have any mental health and addiction treatment programs but we know the importance of these types of services. The Milwaukee Rescue mission has addiction treatment programs that provide individuals with the support they need to stabilize their lives and achieve long-term recovery. This is crucial in order to help homeless individuals maintain housing and employment.
4. Education and skills development programs are also an important part of support services for the homeless. They can help individuals improve their employability and increase their earning potential. These programs can include basic education, such as literacy and math classes, as well as vocational training and college courses. The Salvation Army offers a life skills program that helps the client’s individual needs and mastery of different life skills.
5. Childcare is vital to support families experiencing homelessness. Childcare services ensure that children are well-cared for while their parents are able to access job training and employment. This allows parents to focus on getting back on their feet and improving their lives, without the added stress and burden of worrying about the care of their children. It is very important to have organizations that help parents so that they can receive the services they need without fear of not having childcare.
6. Access to transportation is often an issue for individuals experiencing homelessness. Without reliable transportation, it can be difficult to access services and resources, such as housing, employment, and healthcare. Unfortunately, we do not have a transportation assistance program that would greatly help individuals access the services and resources they need to overcome this barrier. But we do provide bus cards for those who are able to work and need a reliable way to get to and from their jobs.
7. Legal assistance is also an important support service for the homeless. Many individuals experiencing homelessness have legal issues, such as outstanding warrants or evictions, that can make it difficult for them to access services and resources. Organizations that offer legal assistance programs can help individuals resolve these issues so that they can move forward with their lives. This can include providing legal representation, helping to clear outstanding warrants or eviction records, or even helping with expungements to clear the way for our clients to find work and housing. In Milwaukee, the Legal Aid Society offers free legal assistance to low-income Milwaukee County residents with civil legal problems.
In conclusion, our organization is committed to providing comprehensive support to those experiencing homelessness. We believe that through our services, we can make a real difference in the lives of those experiencing homelessness. We are dedicated to helping our clients overcome the barriers that led to their homelessness and achieve long-term stability and self-sufficiency. But we need your support to continue our work, and help more people. Please consider donating to our cause and help us make a difference in the lives of those who need it the most. With your support, we can change lives and end homelessness.